- SUSPENDED DUE TO COVID-19: Every month, an AIR Artist is featured at International Galleries in Lincoln Square Village in Urbana. Shop often and well!
- SUSPENDED DUE TO COVID-19: Every Saturday, an AIR artist/author/entrepreneur is featured at the Market IN the Square, also at Lincoln Square Village. Follow us on Facebook for details of each week’s show!
- CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19: 13th disABILITY Resource Expo October 10, 2020, 9AM to 2PM, at the Vineyard Church in Urbana, IL. The Expo Committee and Supporters are considering safer, virtual opens for bringing the best resources and information to our community. Please visit the Expo website for details of the event and more
Monday through Wednesday, July 27-29 2020:
“A Most Beautiful Thing,” Virtual Ebertfest Screening
In collaboration with Champaign County’s Alliance for Inclusion and Respect, Roger Ebert’s Film Festival will host an online viewing of the movie, A Most Beautiful Thing. Narrated by Common, this documentary from 50 Eggs Films chronicles the 20 year reunion of the first African American high school rowing team in this country (made up of young men, many of whom were in rival gangs from the West Side of Chicago, coming together to row in the same boat).
A Most Beautiful Thing is a movie that is perfect for the moment. The movie explores not only the safety the young men of this rowing team found on the water (where, as the captain reflected, “we were in a place where we could not hear the sound of sirens”), but the influence that the trauma of violence and cyclical poverty has in our society. The film examines how this rowing team were able to support each other in reimagining a different future for themselves and the crew’s invitation to the Chicago Police Department to row with them during their 20 year reunion gives the film an uplifting message of how we can reach out to bridge societal divides. Sign up for the free screening at https://forms.illinois.edu/
When asked when you last attended Ebertfest, simply write AIR so that you will be prioritized.
- Thursday, July 30th:
“A Most Beautiful Thing” Post-Screening Q&A
The post-film Q&A will be recorded at 7PM, so please send questions when you view the film between the 27th and the 29th!
- Friday, July 31st, 7PM:
“A Most Beautiful Thing” Post-Screening Q&A Broadcast with panelists
The Q&A will be broadcast at https://www.facebook.com/
Eric Pierson, film actor, UIUC alum, Professor of Communication Studies and former chair of the Communication Studies Department at the University of San Diego, and moderator of many of our festival panel discussions
Arshay Cooper, author of “A Most Beautiful Thing” and featured in the documentary
Mary Mazzio, director of “A Most Beautiful Thing”
Joseph Omo-Osagie, from Parkland Counseling Department, CCMHB President
Tracy D. Dace, Founder/CEO of DREAAM
- Saturday, August 1st, 3PM:
“A Most Beautiful Thing” Film and Anti-Stigma Discussion
Join us for a community discussion of the film and related topics, featuring:
Arshay Cooper and Alvin Ross (also from the film)
Tracy Dace and Joseph Omo-Osagie
And other community leaders
Register in advance:
- Monday- Sunday, August 10-16:
Virtual Taste of Champaign-Urbana
AIR artists will be included in the Virtual Taste of Champaign-Urbana. Fingers crossed for good attendance and purchases! http://
- Thursday, September 10th :
World Suicide Prevention Day; details to come.
- Thursday, October 8th :
Depression Screening Day: details to come.
- Saturday, November 21st :
Survivors of Suicide Loss Day: details to come.
- Individuals served by DSC sold earth-friendly, handmade goods at The Crow at 110 located at 110 E. University in Champaign (across from Habitat for Humanity). Plans for the site include a gift shop that will promote the arts.
- UNConference Informational Session Leader Workshops, May 30, 2019
- News & Brews: How Children’s Mental Illnesses Affect Families, May 28, 2019
- Suicide Intervention Training, May 23, 2019
- National Older Adult Mental Health Awareness Day May 20, 2019
- CU Trauma and Resiliency Walk as One, “Trauma Informed Care Awareness Day,” May 15, 2019
- Self Help Conference, “Community Collaboration in Times of Need,” May 3, 2019
- Miss Illinois Mental Health Talk, in collaboration with NAMI on Campus UIUC, April 23, 2019
- Big Tent Art Show and Sale, outside the Virginia Theatre during Ebertfest, April 13, 2019
- Display of Circle of Friends Art, inside the Virginia Theatre during Ebertfest, April 10-13
- “Rachel Getting Married,” sponsored anti-stigma film in Ebertfest, April 11, 2019
- Ebertfest Panel Discussion on Stigma and the Arts, April 11, 2019
- 12th Annual disABILITY Resource Expo – March 30, 2019
- National Stepping Up Day – May 16, 2018
- Anti-Stigma Film in the 20th Roger Ebert Film Festival – April 21, 2018
- Ebertfest Art Show – April 21, 2018
- 11th Annual disABILITY Resource Expo – April 7, 2018
- LEAP Training – February 22, 2018
- Survivors of Suicide Loss Day – November 18, 2017
- Celebrate disABILITY – Music and Art Festival – October 21, 2017
- Depression Screening Day Event – October 19, 2017
- Self-Help Center Facilitator Workshop: Moving from Conflict to Connection- October 6, 2017
- Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day – May 4, 2017
- disAbility Resource Expo Exhibitor Meet & Greet, Vineyard Church – May 4, 2017
- “Building Inclusive Communities,” presentation by David Wetherow, Brookens Administration Building – May 5, 2017
- Mental Health Awareness Week – May 8-14, 2017
- 19th Annual Roger Ebert’s Film Festival – April 19-23, 2017 at the Virginia Theatre: the festival was dedicated to the Alliance for Inclusion & Respect and to the principles of kindness, compassion, empathy, and forgiveness; our sponsored ‘anti-stigma’ film was “Mind/Game – the Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw” and will be shown on Saturday, April 22, with an extended Q&A directly after the film, including our own members: Juli Kartel, Joseph Omo Osagie, and Dr. Carla Hunter; the director of the film visited local youth, for a high school screening and discussion of the film, on Friday April 21; and
- Annual Big Tent Art Show and Sale – April 22, 2017
Links of Interest: