Self-Help Center Facilitator Workshop
The Self-Help Center is pleased to announce its Fall Workshop: Constructive Conversations 101: Moving from Conflict to Connection.
The workshop will take place on Friday, October 6 from 9:00a.m. – 12:00p.m. at the University of Illinois Extension Office, 801 N. Country Fair Drive, Champaign. Our presenter, ELAINE SHPUNGIN, PH.D., is the founder and director of Conflict 180. Dr. Shpungin is passionate about contributing to a future in which we address conflict more constructively and restoratively. The workshop will focus on effective communication in challenging situations and conflicts, especially in group settings. Participants will learn key elements from the restorative practices field to help de-escalate situations in a way that supports the dignity of those involved. Participants will also learn how to address difficult conversations in a more productive and constructive way.
Three (3) CE hours are available for this training through the Continuing Education Institute of Illinois. The cost for the workshop is $15. An additional fee of $15 will be required if CEUs are desired. Please make your check payable to the Self-Help Center and mail to the address listed below. The seating for this workshop is limited, so registration will be based on a first-come first-serve basis. If you would like to register, please email with the following information: Name; Agency or Support Group; Do you wish to obtain CEUs?; Gender; Ethnicity; Location.
Contact Loralea Liss, Coordinator, Self-Help Center, Family Service, 405 S. State Street, Champaign, IL 61820, 217-352-0099, ext. 115, www.selfhelp.famservcc.org.”
Depression Screening Day Event
October 19, 2017 at Parkland College in Champaign, IL. Please visit the Parkland College Event page for more details.
Celebrate disability, a Music and Art Festival!
October 21, 2017, Noon to 3PM at Lincoln Square Village in Urbana, IL. Sponsored by the disABILITY Resource Expo, this event will feature live musical and theatrical performances and several of our very own Alliance artists and entrepreneurs displaying and selling their original works. This event is FREE to the whole community, and we’d love to see you!
Survivors of Suicide Loss Day
November 18, 2017
Eleventh Annual disABILITY Resource Expo
April 7, 2018, 9AM to 2PM, at the Vineyard Church in Urbana, IL. Please visit the Expo website for details of the event and more.
- Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day – May 4
- disAbility Resource Expo Exhibitor Meet & Greet, Vineyard Church – May 4
- “Building Inclusive Communities,” presentation by David Wetherow, Brookens Admin Building – May 5
- Mental Health Awareness Week – May 8-14
- 19th Annual Roger Ebert’s Film Festival – April 19-23 at the Virginia Theatre:
- The festival was dedicated to the Alliance for Inclusion & Respect and to the principles of kindness, compassion, empathy, and forgiveness;
- Our sponsored ‘anti-stigma’ film was “Mind/Game – the Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw” and will be shown on Saturday, April 22, with an extended Q&A directly after the film, including our own members: Juli Kartel, Joseph Omo Osagie, and Dr. Carla Hunter;
- The director of the film visited local youth, for a high school screening and discussion of the film, on Friday April 21;
- Annual Big Tent Art Show and Sale on Saturday, April 22 from 9AM to 5PM, in front of the Virginia Theatre.
- Disability Resource Expo
- Roger Ebert’s Film Festival
- Art Exhibit at Springer Cultural Center
- Art Show/Sale in Ebertfest Tent
- Exhibit of Original Art at Café Kopi (Walnut St, Champaign)